Sam Ballard, an Australian who became paralyzed after consuming a slug, passed away at the age of 28. When the enthusiastic rugby player consumed the rodent lungworm-infected animal, he had a severe brain illness.

At the age of 28, a guy, who was paralyzed after swallowing a slug on a birthday party dare passed away. Eosinophilic meningoencephalitis is a very uncommon infection (infestation) of the brain brought on by rat lungworms.

This illness can cause headaches, stiff necks, tingling or soreness in the skin, fever, nausea, and vomiting in affected individuals. Typically, it takes 1-3 weeks from the time you consume the slug or snail until you become ill.

Sam Ballard Slug Death Trending On Reddit: How Did He Die?

There are many comments on Reddit regarding Sam Ballard being trending again. He was the man, who as part of a dare ate a garden slug has passed away. After consuming the slug at a party when he was 19, Sam Ballard, at the time of his death 28 years old, struggled for eight years and was rendered paraplegic.


Medical issues caused him to lose his battle for life in 2018, and his final words to his mother were, "I love you." He was unaware that the slug was carrying a potentially fatal worm that would cause his body to become paralyzed, put him into a coma for more than a year, and finally take his life.

Angiostronjilus cantonensis is a parasitic worm that causes rat lungworm sickness. The parasite, as its name implies, infects rats' lungs and is then passed off in their feces. The parasite either infects the slug, snail, freshwater crab, shrimp, prawn, or frog that comes along after eating the rat excrement. However, fish do not disperse the parasite.

Read More: Australian Footy Legend Neil Kerley Wife And Net Worth At Death

How Are Sam Ballard Family Today?

Sam Ballard was born on 10 May 1989 to his parents Katie Ballard, and father Ian Ballard. He had two siblings, Joshua Ballard and Melanie Ballard. According to "The Sunday Project," Sam felt weak after consuming the slug and claimed that his legs hurt a lot.

Sam's mother, Katie Ballard, said on the news program that, first they were concerned he might have multiple sclerosis because her husband had the disease. Doctors, though, indicated that wasn't the cause.

After confessing to eating a slug, Sam turned to his mother, who responded, "No, no one gets sick from that," according to Katie Ballard. Ballard has also been contacted by CNN. However, soon after, doctors advised them otherwise. Sam's life was irrevocably altered when he contracted rat lungworm sickness from the infected slug.

Read More: Who Is BJ Brown From Tennessee? New Orleans Erin Police Shooting, Is He Arrested?

Who Did Sam Ballard Take The Dare With?

Sam Ballard, a keen rugby player who was 19 at the time, was drinking with Jimmy Galvin and a number of other of his Australian "friends" when a slug started crawling across Galvin's concrete patio at his Sydney home.


In a video interview with Lisa Wilkinson of "The Sunday Project," a current affairs discussion showed that airs on Network 10 in Australia, Galvin said, "We were sitting over here, having a little of red wine appreciation night, trying to act like grown-ups." Galvin was contacted by CNN, but no response was received.

The question "Should I eat it?" then came up, according to Galvin. That's how it happened: "And then Sam took off, and bang."

Read More: Who Is Katie Boulter Partner Alex De Minaur? Her Wimbledon Win At First Game